- Electric Generation Byproducts
- Advanced Technology Meters
- 2021.02.17 JEA Announces New Leadership Team
- 2021.03.11 JEA Receives First Place Safety Award from Florida Municipal Electric Association
- 2021.06.15 JEA Names Theodore B. Phillips Chief Financial Officer
- 2021.07.13 JEA Announces New COO and VP of Financial Services
- 2021.08.17 JEA Builds Out Leadership Team with Hiring of Chief External Affairs Officer
- 2021.09.15 JEA Names New Chief Information Officer, VP of Technical Services
- 2021.09.30 Ricky Erixton, JEA Vice President of Electric Systems, Named to SERC Reliability Board of Directors
- 2021.09.30 Ricardo “Rick” Morales III Appointed to JEA Board of Directors
- 2021.11.03 JEA Receives Statewide Recognition for Programs that Build Community
- 2022.01.06 JEA Names its First Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- 2022.01.07 JEA Reducing Carbon Emissions with Closure of Plant Scherer Coal-fired Unit
- 2022.01.17 Statement on Holiday Road Sewer Overflow
- 2022.01.27 JEA Names Mark Stultz Vice President, Communications
- 2022.02.11 JEA Honored as Outstanding Utility by Florida Urban Forestry Council
- 2022.04.08 Steven Selders Promoted to JEA Vice President, Application Delivery and Enterprise Architecture
- 2022.04.26 JEA Managing Director & CEO Jay Stowe, Appointed to Electricity Subsector Coordinating Council
- 2022.06.01 JEA Partnering with Customers to be Ready for 2022 Hurricane Season
- 2022.06.08 JEA Announces Next Generation of Customer Experience Delivery
- 2022.06.13 JEA Presents Environmental Stewardship Award to Evoqua Water Technologies
- 2022.07.26 JEA to Suspend Electric, Water Disconnections During Peak of Summer Heat
- 2022.08.27 Precautionary Boil Water Advisory Remains in Effect for Sandalwood Area as JEA Continues Testing
- 2022.08.28 JEA Lifts Boil Water Advisory for Sandalwood Area
- Informal Procurement Opportunities
- Bid Results
- Jacksonville Small Emerging Business and Supplier Diversity Program
- Awards Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Look Up an Invoice
- Bid Forms
- Requests for Information
- iSupplier Portal
- Zycus Portal
- Real Estate Services
- Letter from Managing Director and CEO
- Honors and Achievements
- Strategic Focus and Core Values
- Corporate Headquarters
- Community Impact
- Benefits of Public Utilities
Vegetation is one of the most common causes for accidental disruptions to electrical service. Trees may be the most frequent cause, but the most covert and elusive of plants are the vines. Vines crawl along the ground, or snake through the canopy of a tree to steal and capture available light and space.
Vine Growth on Electrical Structures
Vines grow rapidly and use other objects for support. Trees, shrubs, utility poles, guy wires, and other upright structures provide the backbone for climbing vines.
The growth rates of vines can be variable and unpredictable. To complicate matters, the conductive tissue of a vine’s vascular system can transfer electrical current – and be the primary cause for an outage, service interruptions, or serious injury.
Reducing Outages Caused by Vines
As your service provider, JEA’s vegetation management plan includes a methodical vine eradication program that includes a strike team that seeks out, and responds to, potential vine related hazards before they actually occur. Vine data is collected regarding the treatment, date, location/address, and circuit. Field inspections and treatment not only alleviate the vines themselves, but may also remove the vegetative bridge that can close the gap between trees, shrubs, utility poles, guy wires, and other electrical equipment.
Since its inception, the success of the program has been significant. Vine related outages have continued to drop systematically year after year. If you have any questions or concerns regarding electrical hazards with trees and vines, please contact JEA Tree Care at (904) 665-6050, or email us at JEATreeCare@jea.com.
Explore Solutions and Save
Learn about all the ways JEA helps Northeast Florida families, businesses and our community thrive and how we can help you do more.