History

Established by the City of Jacksonville in 1895, JEA owns, operates and manages the electric system. It grew from a department of city government to an independent authority created by the consolidation of city and county governments in 1967.

Further details can be found by reading: Jacksonville City Charter, Article 21.  

On June 1, 1997, the water and sewer systems operated by the city since 1880 also became part of JEA’s utility service offerings. It was fitting that this merger took place as the Main Street Light Plant was built at the city’s Waterworks Park at First and Main Streets.


Today, JEA is the largest community-owned utility in Florida and one of the largest in the United States. We are committed to our purpose—to improve the quality of life in the communities we serve, with a spirit that has united our business for nearly 125 years.