Get Assistance

JEA cares about the community we live in. We are here to point the way to bill pay solutions and utility payment assistance for families and individuals struggling financially due to a personal crisis or emergency.

Get Assistance with United Way 2-1-1

Customers seeking assistance with utility-related bills can pick up the phone for round-the-clock, 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week, 365-days-a-year of agency information, resources and referrals through United Way 2-1-1. This service is made possible by the United Way of Northeast Florida who work in partnership with businesses and community organizations to help people meet basic needs. 

For further information about 2-1-1, please call (904) 632-0600 or visit

Agency Assistance Eligibility and Contact Information 

City of Jacksonville

Social Services Division Emergency Assistance Program

Appointments Required.

(904) 632-6249 (904-630-CITY)

  • Serve JEA customers that are Duval County residents.
  • Household income must not exceed 135 percent of the federal poverty level.

Visit the City of Jacksonville website

Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP)

Appointments Required.

Apply for benefits online or call (904) 632-6249 (904-630-CITY)

Administered through the city of Jacksonville, EHEAP is a federally funded program that assists low-income households, with at least one person age 60 and older, when the households are experiencing a home energy emergency. A home energy emergency may result from a delinquent utility bill or receipt of a shut-off notice. Payments are for energy-related costs during two seasons running October – March and April – September. Assistance can be provided only once per season. To be eligible for EHEAP, households must have:

  • A documented heating or cooling emergency,
  • At least one individual age 60 or older in the home, and
  • Gross household annual income equal to or less than 150 percent of the federal poverty income requirements.

Visit the EHEAP website

Military Affairs and Veterans Department (MAV)

For walk-in service times please call (904) 730-1530

MAV offers advocacy to those that serve or have served. Visit MAV at City Hall located at 117 W. Duval St., Suite 175, Jacksonville, FL 32202.

Visit the MAV website

Downtown Ecumenical Services Council (DESC)

Appointments Required.

Call (904) 358-7955 on Mondays beginning at 8:30am to schedule an appointment.

  • Serve JEA customers in Clay, Duval and Nassau Counties.
  • Appointments are given on a first-come, first-served basis.

Visit the DESC website

ElderSource Aging & Disability Help Line

Appointments Required.

Call (904) 391-6699 or toll-free (888) 242-4464

  • Florida Relay Services 7-1-1.
  • Serve JEA customers in Duval County.
  • Contact the Aging & Disability Help Line to find out about assistance in Baker, Clay and St. Johns Counties.

Visit the ElderSource website

Northeast Florida Community Action Agency (NFCAA) Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Appointments Required. To schedule an appointment:

  • Customers can the toll free number: 1 (844) 625-8776
  • Appointments can be scheduled through an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system or through operators. 
  • Appointments can be scheduled up to 14 calendar days in advance.
  • A live Operator is available for customers who require assistance between the hours of 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
  • Language accommodations will be available.

    LIHEAP is a federally funded program administered locally by NFCAA that assists low-income households with immediate and emergency home energy needs. NFCAA makes direct payments to JEA when a family or individual does not have the funds and is in danger of having their electricity disconnected. As funding allows, payments are for energy-related costs during two seasons running October – March and April – September. It is not intended to pay the entire cost of home heating and cooling. LIHEAP eligibility:

    • Home heating or cooling costs to JEA as energy provider.
    • 60 years and over, disabled, and households with children 5 and under.
    • Permanent legal resident of the United States and Florida or household members that are U.S. citizens.
    • Documented proof of the above items.
    • Maximum family household income equal to or less that 150 percent of the federal poverty income requirements. Household refers to those who live in the residence and are financially dependent.

    Visit the NFCAA website to learn more about LIHEAP

    When in doubt, the first call for help is always United Way’s 2-1-1

    No Paper Towels or Wipes in the Toilet

    Remember, only toilet paper and human waste should go down your toilet. Flushing anything else, including paper towels, can damage JEA’s wastewater system and create dangerous (and disgusting) blockages called fatbergs.

    Learn what you can and cannot flush