- In Our Community
- Connecting to the JEA Vacuum Sewer System
- Connecting to the JEA Water System
- Construction Terms
- Meet the Project Outreach Team
- Move Over Law
- Project Outreach Contact Form
- Ricker Rd Sewer Improvement Project
- Riverview Water Main Installation Projects
- Septic Tank Phase Out
- Site Restoration
- Trenchless Technology
Otter Run Water Treatment Facility Improvement Project
The goal of this construction project is to make the community even better by improving our service and reliability to your neighborhood. Start and Completion dates are subject to change and do not include final restoration of the project area. Thank you in advance for your patience!
Estimated Dates & Work Schedule
Anticipated End Date: 2019-10-31
Work will take place Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please note in some circumstances, weekend and evening hours may be necessary.
JEA continues work to upgrade the Otter Run Water Treatment Plant (WTP) located at 96119 Otter Run Drive. In the past, during periods of increased water demand (i.e. summer months) the Otter Run WTP has been used primarily as a back-up to other nearby water plants to service your area.
However, due to current upgrades and repairs at the other plants on what we refer to as the Lofton Oaks grid, the Otter Run WTP has experienced increased demand and use over the past few years.
A review of the facility by our engineers determined that the water reservoirs at the plant were nearing the end of their service lives and should be upgraded or replaced accordingly. We are currently performing a complete rehabilitation of the entire facility, investing in Nassau County’s JEA infrastructure.
Project Update - April 2019
To date, we have completed construction of the ground storage tank and all underground piping. Structural components of the pump building will be completed in the coming weeks. We will then proceed with electrical and instrumentation work, final grading of the site and installation of gravity sewer lines and a new sewer manhole.
Otter Run Drive - Temporary Road Closure
For the safety of our crews and the general public, we will be required to close Otter Run Drive directly in front of the facility during construction.
- May 13th*—May 24th* The roadway will be closed during dewatering operations in preparation for construction to include installation of the sewer main and manhole.
- May 27th* - June 7th* During additional testing of the new line and services, the road will be closed while crews are working during the day (Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) and will be opened when crews are not working. Please see a map of the work area and detour below.
- June 10th* - June 14th* paving to be completed.
Note: dates and times are highly subject to change.
During this project, most of the construction will take place behind the fenced areas of the plant and equipment traffic will be confined to the dirt road located behind the facility. However, residents may notice some increased vehicular traffic through the neighborhood to the plant and there may be some noise associated with this construction.
This project will also include the demolition and construction of several components behind the fenced areas of the facility (outlined below).
- Demolish existing yard piping valves, ground piping valves, flow meters, and concrete well slabs at the two potable water wells
- Demolish existing fiberglass aerator and enclosure
- Demolish two (2) existing steel ground storage tanks (30,000 gallon and 36,000 gallon)
- Demolish one (1) 5,000 gallon hydro pneumatic tank
- Demolish three (3) existing high service pumps, associated piping, valves, and flow meter
- Demolish existing sodium hypochlorite disinfection feed and storage system
- Demolish existing electrical gear and communication equipment
- Construct new electric system and control system
- Construct new yard piping as required to accommodate the new equipment and structures
- Construct new high service pump building with electrical room and ADA restroom
- Construct one (1) new 100,000 gallon ground storage tank with new aerator
- Install three (3) new high service pumps and one (1) new flow meter assembly
- Install a new sodium hypochlorite feed and storage system for water treatment
- Provide new fence and landscaping around the plant site
Landscaping and Fencing
As part of this work, the existing landscaping and overgrowth of vegetation will be removed early in the project and replaced with new fencing and additional landscaping towards the end of the project.
Below are renderings of the new landscaping and fencing plan for this facility.
Map of Project Area
Restoration of the Project Area
Restoration of Otter Run Drive will begin once the new sewer manhole and lines have been installed, tested and cleared for use. Final restoration of the entire project area including new fencing and landscaping will occur once the project is complete in October 2019*.