Main Street Water Treatment Facility Water and Sewer Improvement Project
The goal of this construction project is to make the community even better by improving our service and reliability to your neighborhood. Start and Completion dates are subject to change and do not include final restoration of the project area. Thank you in advance for your patience!
Estimated Dates & Work Schedule
Anticipated End Date: 2023-05-31
Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.*
Due to weather impacts and other unforeseen construction challenges, the expected completion date has been extended to May, 2023.
*Occasional night and weekend work hours may be necessary - 24-hour work will be required during the HDD portion of work.
The primary purpose of this project is to install a new 36-inch transmission water main from JEA’s Main Street Water Treatment Facility located on N. Main Street to a connection point at the intersection of Beaver Street and Franklin Street near the Jacksonville Fairgrounds at the Sports Complex. These new water lines will connect to existing water transmission lines that will serve customers throughout our service territory creating critical redundancies in our water system.
As part of the work, a contractor will install a 36-inch water main under Arlington Expressway from Albert Street to E. Beaver Street just west of Franklin Street using a trenchless technology referred to as horizontal directional drilling or HDD.
Additionally, JEA will install several new raw water mains that will connect our existing raw water wells located throughout Springfield to our Main Street Water Treatment Facility located on N. Main Street to help bolster water production.
While we are working in these areas, JEA will replace some of the existing water and sanitary sewer lines throughout the project limits. This will increase customer reliability, water pressure and prevent future sewer cave-ins and roadway issues.
Please see the below map for the overall project route and limits.
The project’s detailed scope of work includes, but is not limited to, the installation of approximately 8,000 linear feet of 36-inch transmission water main, 3,200 linear feet of 30-inch raw water main, 1,200 linear feet of 20-inch raw water main, 4,500 linear feet of 16-inch water main, 1,700 linear of 8-inch water main, 1,100 linear feet of 6-inch water main, 650 linear feet of 8-inch sewer main, and other associated utility work. There is not any storm sewer (drainage) work as a part of this project.
Project Update - September 3, 2021
- N. Main Street was re-opened on 9/2/21.
- The 30-inch & 36-36-inch water main installations completed on N. Main Street and progressed into E. 1st Street. This work on E. 1st Street will be paused for 3-4 weeks to complete the gravity sewer installation. Thereafter, the 30-inch & 36-inch water main installations will resume and progress east towards Ionia St. & Palmetto St. This work will be ongoing in this E. 1st Street area for 12-14 months.
- Gravity sewer replacement/installation has begun on 1st Street east of N. Main Street and will progress east towards Market Street over next approximately 3-4 weeks.
- 16-inch water main installation has resumed on 1st Street between Market St. and Liberty St, and will progress east towards Ionia Street over next approximately 4 months.
- 36-inch water main installation that began on Beaver Street at Fair Grounds has progressed to APR & Albert Intersection. It will continue to progress west down Albert St. towards Palmetto Street, where it will be joined with the segment of 36-inch water main that was just installed on Palmetto St. between Albert St. and Union St. The 36-inch water main installation on Albert St. and Palmetto St. will be ongoing for next approximately 5 months.
- Overall project completion date is anticipated to be May of 2023.
Overall Project Area Map
Construction will occur in the City’s streets, rights of way and easements. Motorists will be permitted to drive (with caution) through the construction area to their homes and businesses during pipe installation. There will be periods when area roads will have limited access or detoured while the contractor is installing the new water and sewer lines. The HDD pipe installation work under Arlington Expressway from Albert Street to E. Beaver Street will not impede traffic along Arlington Expressway.
Sections of driveways may be temporarily blocked and my require temporary removal and replacement to install the new pipe(s). Customers will be notified in advance by crews to allow for removal of vehicles prior to construction in front of driveways.
Restoration of the Project Area
Restoration of the project area will begin after the new water and sewer mains have been installed, tested and cleared for use. Upon completion of the project, any existing pavement, grass, curb, gutter, driveways or sidewalks affected during construction will be returned to its pre-construction condition.
Even Better Power Reliability
JEA's state-of-the-art technology identifies customers and neighborhoods in need of electric reliability improvements.