JEA's Solar Incentive Program
Northeast Florida averages 222 sunny days each year.* That’s a lot of sunshine – and an abundant source of energy. And there’s never been a better time, or better way, to take advantage of those sunny days. With JEA’s Solar Incentive Program, we pay you an incentive for investing in a solar water heating system because you’re also making an investment in the environment. Before you invest in a solar water heater, make sure you check out our brochure. Click here for details.
Solar Water Heating Benefits
- It pays for itself in 10-14 years, depending on the size of your family and the system
- Customer receives incentive immediately
- Lower electric bills and higher energy self-sufficiency
Is a solar water heater the energy measure for you at this time?
JEA recommends you make the following energy improvements before converting to solar water heating. These improvements will most often have a bigger impact on your overall utility bill:
- Insulate your attic adequately. A minimum R-38 is adequate; for blown cellulose that equates to about 14 inches in depth.
- Seal duct leaks. Have a duct blaster test done both before and after they have been sealed to find leaks before and to ensure they’ve been properly sealed.
- Service your HVAC system at least twice a year by a certified contractor.
- Seal around the windows, doors and all plumbing and electrical penetrations.
- If you don’t have Low-E windows, consider tinting or installing solar window screens.
Click here for the JEA Investment Curve to help you prioritize your upgrades. If you’ve already taken these energy-saving steps, you’re ready to consider a solar water heater.
JEA pays incentives to our customers who install solar water heating systems in their house or business. Just choose a contractor from our list of pre-qualified solar contractors. At the time of purchase, you will be quoted the system price, less the JEA incentive. Click here for details on the JEA solar incentive program. JEA only provides incentives for customers who are switching from JEA electric water heating to solar water heating. We do not provide incentives for solar pool heating or photovoltaic systems.
How much does a Solar Water Heater cost and how much will I save?
On average, Solar Water Heaters cost around $6,766 (80 gallon tank) installed according to our most recent data from the JEA Solar Incentive Program (October 2012 through September 2013). The highest system cost was $9,654 (>120 gallon tank) and the lowest system cost was $3,935 (<80 gallon tank). A family of four is considered a good user of hot water and would expect to save around $23 per month on average. Ultimately your savings will be based upon how much hot water your family actually uses, so review your JEA bill for a more specific estimate. Please keep in mind that installation costs and potential savings will vary and the numbers stated here should only be used for general reference.
For more information on our Solar Incentive Program, please call our ShopSmart with JEA hotline at 877-862-7043 or email us: email@example.com.
* Source: National Weather Service