- My Account
- Account Name Changes
- Changes in Account Holder
- Claim Resolution
- Deposit and Connection Fees
- JEA Credit Score
- Medical Alerts
- Reclaimed Water Inspection Fee
- Service Charges
- Service Reconnection
- Social Security Numbers
JEA SolarSmart: Demonstrate Your Commitment to Solar Energy
JEA SolarSmart gives residential and business customers who do not have solar panels an option to benefit from solar energy and to demonstrate their commitment to improving the environment. Customers can allow up to 100% of their energy to come from solar energy generated by JEA's local solar farms1.
Benefits of JEA SolarSmart
JEA SolarSmart is a quick and easy way to take advantage of solar energy.
- Available to all electric residential and commercial customers.
- Perfect option for those who live in condos, rental properties, homes/businesses with insufficient sunlight and those who do not wish to install private solar systems.
- Begin benefiting from solar energy as soon as your next bill.
- No upfront installation or maintenance costs.
How JEA SolarSmart will Affect Your Bill
JEA SolarSmart will be billed “at cost” to customers, which is how we bill for the fuel used to generate electricity. The JEA SolarSmart rate is 7.5 cents per kilowatt-hour, with a credit for the Fuel Cost which currently is 3.25 cents per kilowatt-hour. Your additional cost is 4.25 cents per kilowatt-hour2. The pricing for JEA SolarSmart is higher than JEA’s Fuel Charge due to JEA's higher cost of solar energy. Depending on your JEA SolarSmart selection, you will receive a Fuel Charge refund for your percentage of solar energy and will be charged for your percentage of JEA SolarSmart energy.
JEA SolarSmart Selection: 20%
- Month 1: Total electric consumption – 1,000kWh
- 200 kWh will be billed at JEA SolarSmart rate
- 800 kWh will be billed at your regular rate
- Month 2: Total electric consumption – 1,250 kWh
- 250 kWh will be billed at JEA SolarSmart rate
- 1,000 kWh will be billed at your regular rate
Additional Monthly Cost Estimate
A customer consumes 1,000 kWh during a month and is enrolled in JEA SolarSmart at 25%.
- 1,000 kWh x 25% Solar = 250 kWH Solar
- 250 kWh Solar x $0.0425 = $10.63
- Customer will pay $10.63 extra in their monthly bill.
The following chart estimates a customer's monthly bill increase based off of their kWh consumption and percentage of SolarSmart.
|kWh Consumed per Month||10%||25%||50%||75%||100%|
JEA SolarSmart Sample Bill Breakdown
Billing amounts are based off of the customer using 1,000 kWh and electing 50% of their energy to come from JEA SolarSmart.
|Charges||Standard Bill||SolarSmart Bill|
|Basic Monthly Charge||$5.50||$5.50|
|Energy Charge ($0.06988 per kWh)||$69.88||$69.88|
|JEA SolarSmart Fuel Cost Refund||$-16.25|
|JEA SolarSmart Cost (500 kWh @ $0.075)||$37.50|
|City of Jacksonville Franchise Fee||$3.26||$3.88|
|Gross Receipts Tax||$2.87||$3.42|
|Public Service Tax||$8.72||$8.81|
|Total Electric Charges||$123.35||$145.55|
Eligibility and Program Policies
- JEA SolarSmart is available to both residential and commercial energy users who receive power generation from JEA.
- You may be enrolled in AutoPay, Online Bill Pay, eBill, and MyBudget programs at the same time you participate in the JEA SolarSmart program.
- Your account must be in good standing and not currently in a payment arrangement.
- You must stay in the program for at least one month.
Modifying Your SolarSmart Enrollment
- If you would like to change the percentage of JEA SolarSmart in which you are enrolled, please complete the JEA SolarSmart sign up form with your new level of participation (1% - 100%). The change will be effective starting the next billing period.
- If you would like to remove yourself from the SolarSmart program, please complete the JEA SolarSmart cancellation form. The change will be effective
in the next full billing cycle as you will be removed only at the end of the current billing cycle, as long as you have completed the first month of enrollment as described in our Program policy.
If you have any questions regarding the JEA SolarSmart program, please contact us at email@example.com.
1The electricity generated by the JEA solar farms will feed into JEA’s electric grid and blend with the rest of the electricity we generate, therefore JEA is not able to guarantee the exact amount of solar energy that is delivered to your home.
2Since JEA SolarSmart is a pass-through cost, the cost per kWh may change as the cost of solar energy from JEA solar sources fluctuates.
Understanding JEA's Rates
When you receive your bill each month you may wonder what all the different rates, fees and charges actually mean.