- Ways to Save
Low-Cost Tips for Your Home
Our low cost tips can save money on your monthly utility bill while only requiring a minimal upfront investment. Some of the projects below may even qualify for a ShopSmart with JEA rebate that will help lower your initial investment.
- Repair leaky faucets.
- Install low-flow showerheads.
- Install high efficiency faucet aerators in kitchen and bathroom sinks.
- Make sure weather stripping on exterior doors and windows seal well.
- Make sure air handler filters are changed monthly or as needed.
- Use ceiling fans to keep the air moving while in the room, fans can make a room feel at least four degrees cooler.
- Change incandescent/halogen bulbs to LED or compact fluorescent bulbs. You can save on the upfront costs with our
lighting rebates offered by ShopSmart with JEA.
- According to ENERGY STAR, replacing your five most frequently used light fixtures or the bulbs in them with ENERGY STAR qualified lights can save more than $65 a year in energy costs. ENERGY STAR qualified compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) provide high-quality light output, use 75% less energy, and last 6–10 times longer than standard incandescent light bulbs, saving money on energy bills and replacement costs.
- Use motion sensing light controls to limit run time of exterior light fixtures.
- Install a smart or programmable thermostat.
- Insulate water heaters and supply pipes.
- Plant shade trees on south and west facing sides of the building to block sunlight.