- Residential Customers
- Get Assistance
- Residential Backflow Requirements
- Billing and Payment Options
Battery Incentive Program
JEA offers an incentive to help rooftop solar customers take the next step toward home energy independence: battery storage. The Battery Incentive Program aims to encourage renewable energy adoption by making this technology more affordable for our customers.
Why a Battery?
Currently, JEA customers with rooftop solar panels must rely on JEA’s electric grid to provide energy when their solar panels don’t produce enough power to meet the home or business’s energy needs. When the solar panels generate more energy than is needed, the excess is sent to JEA.
When excess energy flows from the customer’s solar system back to the JEA grid, JEA values that energy at the fuel rate. With the addition of a battery, customers can store the excess energy generated by their solar system and draw on it as needed – maintaining the full retail value of that energy and reducing their need to receive electricity from the grid.
Before Installing a Battery
Prior to installing a new solar system with battery storage, JEA customers must apply for interconnection by completing JEA's Distributed Generation Application and Interconnection Agreement. The application and interconnection agreement must be submitted for approval to JEA at email@example.com.
Customers with existing solar PV systems under the Distributed Generation Policy who wish to add a battery system only need to submit JEA’s Application for Interconnection of Distributed Generation System.
An electrical permit will be required prior to an installation of a battery storage system. Please contact your retailer or your local permitting agency for more information.
Effective Oct. 1, 2021, JEA's Battery Incentive Program will offer a customer incentive of $2,000 for the purchase and installation of qualifying battery storage systems.*
Remaining Battery Incentives For JEA Fiscal Year 2022 (Ends on September 30th, 2022)
- Provides $2,000 incentive per home/business on the purchase of a qualified battery storage system*.
- Incentive amount is subject to change.
- Customers may also be eligible for a 26 percent federal tax credit for their battery storage system (after incentive applied).
- Only JEA customers with approved renewable generation systems will qualify to receive the incentive.
- The Battery Incentive Form should be submitted once the battery storage system is installed, the local Building Department has finalized all permits, JEA has reviewed and approved the installed system, and the JEA Meter Department has installed a new two-register meter.
*Battery qualifications can be found on the Battery Incentive Form. Please note: Solar PV customers grandfathered under JEA’s previous Net Metering Policy who choose to take advantage of JEA’s battery incentive will no longer be grandfathered and thereafter will be transferred to the Distributed Generation Policy.
Explore Solutions and Save
Learn about all the ways JEA helps Northeast Florida families, businesses and our community thrive and how we can help you do more.