- Electric Generation Byproducts
- Advanced Technology Meters
- 2021.02.17 JEA Announces New Leadership Team
- 2021.03.11 JEA Receives First Place Safety Award from Florida Municipal Electric Association
- 2021.06.15 JEA Names Theodore B. Phillips Chief Financial Officer
- 2021.07.13 JEA Announces New COO and VP of Financial Services
- 2021.08.17 JEA Builds Out Leadership Team with Hiring of Chief External Affairs Officer
- 2021.09.15 JEA Names New Chief Information Officer, VP of Technical Services
- 2021.09.30 Ricky Erixton, JEA Vice President of Electric Systems, Named to SERC Reliability Board of Directors
- 2021.09.30 Ricardo “Rick” Morales III Appointed to JEA Board of Directors
- 2021.11.03 JEA Receives Statewide Recognition for Programs that Build Community
- 2022.01.06 JEA Names its First Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- 2022.01.07 JEA Reducing Carbon Emissions with Closure of Plant Scherer Coal-fired Unit
- 2022.01.17 Statement on Holiday Road Sewer Overflow
- 2022.01.27 JEA Names Mark Stultz Vice President, Communications
- 2022.02.11 JEA Honored as Outstanding Utility by Florida Urban Forestry Council
- 2022.04.08 Steven Selders Promoted to JEA Vice President, Application Delivery and Enterprise Architecture
- 2022.04.26 JEA Managing Director & CEO Jay Stowe, Appointed to Electricity Subsector Coordinating Council
- Formal Procurement Opportunities
- Informal Procurement Opportunities
- Bid Results
- Jacksonville Small Emerging Business Program
- Awards Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Look Up an Invoice
- Bid Forms
- Requests for Information
- iSupplier Portal
- Zycus Portal
- Honors and Achievements
- Strategic Focus and Core Values
- Corporate Headquarters
- Community Impact
- Benefits of Public Utilities
- Real Estate Services
Electric Generation Byproducts
Located in Jacksonville, Florida, our Northside Generating Station houses two circulating fluidized bed (CFB) boilers, which are fired with petroleum coke blended with coal. Limestone is also added to create thermal mass and is used as a scrubbing medium to remove sulfurous gases. During the firing process, two byproducts are generated: fly ash and bed ash.
Bed Ash and Fly Ash
Bed ash (sometimes called bottom ash) is the byproduct produced from the boiler. In turn, fly ash is the byproduct produced from the stack. While the elemental composition of the ashes is similar, and both carry an elevated pH, they vary greatly in weight and particle size.
These two ashes are sold in their dry forms as EZSorb fly and EZSorb bed. Under specific conditions, they are excellent materials that can be used to stabilize dredge spoils, solidify liquid wastes, neutralize acidic wastes, and more.
At our Northside Generating Station, we take these dry ash Byproducts and mix them with water to create slurry. We also follow a rigorous, well established process of stirring, drying, processing, milling, and more to turn this ash and water mixture into the value-added byproducts EZBase and EZBasePlus.
EZBase and EZBasePlus are used in many road building and other civil construction projects. When properly processed, these Byproducts are excellent substitutes for traditional civil construction materials such as lime rock, concrete, recycled concrete and asphalt.
For more information on purchasing these Byproducts or to receive free samples of EZBase or EZSorb for bench testing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Explore Solutions and Save
Learn about all the ways JEA helps Northeast Florida families, businesses and our community thrive and how we can help you do more.