- My Account
- Account Name Changes
- Changes in Account Holder
- Claim Resolution
- Deposit and Connection Fees
- JEA Credit Score
- Medical Alerts
- Reclaimed Water Inspection Fee
- Service Charges
- Service Reconnection
- Social Security Numbers
Appliance Calculator Instructions
JEA is providing tools for customers participating in the JEA SmartSavings pilot to help them understand and manage their demand. The Appliance Demand Calculator is to help customers understand how their use of different appliances creates demand on the electric system and increases or decreases the electric portion of their monthly bill.*
How to Set Up Your Calculator
The first step is to customize the calculator to match your home. You will notice there are already rooms listed in the calculator and appliances in those rooms. (All appliances are electric, so if you have an appliance powered by gas, do not include it.) You can easily add or remove rooms and add or remove appliances to any room. The important thing is that you match what is on the calculator as closely as possible to what you have in your home. Once this is done, you can save your profile for future use.
- Add rooms by clicking on the bubbles at the top right of the calculator or on the plus boxes on the under left hand side of the blue room bar
- Remove rooms by clicking on the trash can in the blue individual room bar
- Add appliances to a room by first clicking on the room, which will bring it to the top of the page, and then click on each appliance you want in that room
- Delete appliances by clicking on the trash can in the row with the appliance you want to delete
How to Use Your Calculator
Start by thinking about yesterday, or the current day you are in, since these are probably fresh in your mind. Depending on what time of year it is (April-October Noon to 7:00p.m. or November-March 6:00a.m. to 9:00a.m.), be aware of when Peak Hours are in effect. Now think about the times of day when you use the most appliances—both during Peak Hours and at other times.
- Pick the time during Peak Hours when you use the most appliances. On the Calculator turn on those appliances, then slide the time of use button to Peak Hours (PH) for those appliances.
- Next think about the time outside of Peak Hours that you have the most appliances in use. Turn those appliances on and slide the time of use button to Anytime Hours (ATH).
- Be sure to turn on appliances like refrigerators or stand-alone freezers regardless of the time of day you are considering. Also, think about when you used hot water last so you can turn on the water heater if it could be running.
When you finish, you can see what your total demand charges could be under that scenario if those were your highest demand times for the month. You will also know which appliances in your home make the biggest impact on your demand and what you pay.
A Different Way of Thinking About Your Energy Use
The next step is to consider how you can alter your use of appliances to reduce your demand and save. Play with different scenarios in your home. Consider what a high usage day looks like. Then consider how low you might be able to get your demand by changing some behaviors. If you have multiple people living in your home, include them in this process. Make sure everyone is aware of how their use of appliances can affect your monthly bill. You could even set a goal for everyone to work toward and decide on a reward if you are successful.
*Please keep in mind, this tool is for illustrative purposes only.
- Other devices turned on in your home that are not listed here also impact demand.
- The energy required to run appliances can vary by brand and model. Your appliances may demand more or less electricity from the grid.
- The cost estimates calculated by this tool only represent the demand charge component of the bill; they do not include the Basic Monthly Charge, Fees, Taxes or other charges. To learn more about the demand pilot, go to JEA SmartSavings Pilot.
Pay Your Way
At JEA, we give you the option to choose the method of payment that best fits your lifestyle.