Remodeling Your Kitchen Today Can Save Money Tomorrow
Renovating your kitchen is a great way to include more efficient products. However, every decision you make should be based on your unique needs. Here are some things to consider:
- Switch your incandescent lighting with fluorescent light bulbs. They use 75% less electricity, put 70% less heat in the home, and last up to 12 times longer. To learn more check out our CFL fact sheet and lighting fact sheet.
Also check the list of Energy Star Certified light fixtures to find a fixture that will use less electricity and save you money. To find out where you can purchase CFL lighting and take advantage of JEA's lighting rebates take a look at this list of local participating retailers.
- Use EPA WaterSense rated faucet fixtures that use up to 50% less water.
- Buy an ENERGY STAR® dishwasher. Most have advanced technology like soil sensors, improved water filtration, more efficient jets, and innovative rack designs. According to ENERGY STAR, if your dishwasher was made before 1994 you’re paying an extra $40 per year on your utility bill compared to owning a new ENERGY STAR dishwasher.
- Buy an ENERGY STAR® Refrigerator or Freezer. ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerators are required to use 20% less energy than models not labeled with the ENERGY STAR logo. According to ENERGY STAR, if you still have a fridge from the 1980s, replacing it with an ENERGY STAR qualified model will save over $100 each year on your utility bills. Replacing a fridge from the 1970s saves more than $200 each year. Check the Energy Star Certified list of refrigerators and freezers to find models that will use less electricity and save you money. After you have purchased a new Energy Star refrigerator make sure to remove the original refrigerator from your home. Otherwise you will have increased the number of appliances in your home and your electricity consumption will increase. To dispose of an old refrigerator simply arrange a curbside pickup by contacting the City of Jacksonville at (904) 630-2489. Once you've purchased a new refrigerator from a local participating retailer, send in your rebate form to take advantage of the JEA appliance rebates.
- Put some shading on your kitchen window with window film or solar screens that will reduce the heat coming through. Window films can reduce 3-5% of the cooling portion of your utility bill if done throughout the house on all east, south, and west facing windows. This will make the kitchen feel more comfortable and prevent the fading of the furniture. Find a local contractor and take advantage of the JEA window film and solar screen rebates.
- Consider adding an ENERGY STAR® ceiling fan/light combination. They’re 50% more efficient over conventional fan/light combinations and they cool rooms without having to lower the thermostat.
- Discourage mold growth and improve your indoor air quality by installing an exhaust fan that delivers moisture-laden air directly outside.