- Advanced Technology Meters
- Environmental Incident Reporting
- EPA Clean Power Plan
EPA Clean Power Plan
The EPA’s proposed Clean Power Plan is a complex rule that is now tied up in federal court. Once it is finally decided, JEA will follow the ruling whatever the outcome. Meanwhile, there are many facets to this proposed rule. The real challenge is to bring our community together to understand the rule holistically so that we can attain a reasonable balance between the environmental benefits we all want and our ability to absorb the cost impacts—both as a utility, a community and as individual customers—in a reasonable and appropriate way.
On September 25, 2014, JEA hosted a community meeting to educate its customers and regional policymakers about the EPA’s proposed Clean Power Plan (CPP), what the rule expects to accomplish, its legal basis, and its likely impact on the U.S., Florida and JEA customers.
- Kenneth L. Mitchell, Ph.D., special assistant to the director of EPA Region 4 Clean Air program, presented the content of the proposed rule
- Jeff Holmstead, former assistant administrator of the United States EPA for Air and Radiation and currently recognized by Chambers USA as one of the nation’s leading climate change lawyers, addressed the legal basis for the rule
- Theresa Pugh, director of the Environmental Services for the American Public Power Association articulated the national issues associated with the proposed rule
- Paul McElroy, Managing Director and CEO of JEA, posed the potential local impact on Jacksonville and its citizens
"JEA’s focus in responding to the EPA’s proposed rule is to serve the best interests of our customers and our community in an environmentally and financially responsible way,” stressed Paul McElroy, managing director and CEO of JEA.
The symposium was attended by more than 125 policymakers, elected officials, regulators, business and community leaders, and citizens. This is the first of what will likely be two such forums.
View JEA's comments to the EPA on the Clean Power Plan Proposal.